Sunday, September 15, 2013

Victor Anna, Aro Anna, and Jenny Akka

My third Sunday in India we went and visited one of the village churches. I don't remember what the village was called - I couldn't even figure out what they were saying when they told me. It was really long though. The pastor in that church was named Victor, and he spoke some English! He actually translated for me when I shared my testimony. The pastors in the churches I had previously visited did not speak any English, and Auntie translated my testimony.

Victor and his wife Violet had us over to their house after church for lunch, and we spent some time visiting. I couldn't understand most of what was said because they prefer to speak in Tamil since it is their heart language, but I enjoyed it anyway. Indians are very hospitable, and Victor knows how to make a person feel like one of the family.

Victor and Violet are each 32 years old I believe, and they met at Bible college. They do not have any children. Her family has disowned her since she married a Christian, and do not even speak to her. This is quite an accomplishment since they only live three houses down, and so they see each other a lot. Victor's father died when he was sixteen, and David Anna put him through Bible college. David Anna and Victor are very close. Many people think they are brothers. Victor is one of the pastors who goes north with David Anna when he goes to minister up there.

The last weekend we spent a day in Pondicherry, about 200 kilometres down the coast. This is a Union Territory, and was originally governed by the French. Victor came with us on that trip. The Mission has a branch church in Pondicherry, and we met the pastor and his wife for lunch. Her name is Jennifer, which happens to be my eldest sister's name, so that was kind-of cool. His name is Arokiaraj, but everybody calls him Aro. He is 30, and laughs almost constantly. She is 25, and going through nursing school. They do not have any children. Aro is another one of the pastors who goes north with David Anna.

After lunch and some incredible Indian coffee, we went out to explore Pondicherry. I didn't go to India to be a tourist, but they insisted on showing me some tourist sights. Pondicherry is very French. I enjoyed it.

Victor instructed me to call him and Aro "Anna" (which, as I'm sure you will remember, means older brother). I figured that I had better call Jenny "Akka" too.

I got to spend some more time with Victor Anna and Aro Anna over the last week, and they both became my brothers. Aro Anna actually introduced me to his brother as his younger sister. I miss both of them a lot. I didn't get to spend as much time with Jenny Akka, but I miss her as well.
Victor Anna and I
Jenny Akka, Aro Anna, and I

One more thing about Aro Anna and Jenny Akka. They live right across the road from a Hindu temple. And their church building is located on top of their house. Which means that there is a Hindu temple right across the road from the church building. That in and of itself is not so remarkable, though it does complicate things a little. However, the priest of that temple happens to be Aro Anna's uncle. So, the one is the priest of the temple, and the other is the pastor of the church across the road. Oh, and I think the priest's wife is a member of Aro Anna's church. That makes things a little more complicated!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole... I was searching a picture of one of the Pastor to conduct a meeting in our place. Suddenly I happen to see some of our Photos in your blog spot. I am happy that you have shared your experiences about relations and ministries in India. We miss you as well and we are praying for you and your future. God bless.

    ReplyDelete